Take Your Time Over This Tandoori Cod Burger Recipe From Joe Wicks’s 30-Minute Meals
Joe Wicks made his name with HIIT workouts, and tasty and healthy 15-minute recipes, catering to the always-on-the-go busy-busy-busy modern person looking to get a lil’ bit leaner. But even the busiest of us can spare more than 15 minutes sometimes. We may even be able to spare 30 minutes. To cater to those rare times, Wicks has released a cookbook, 30-Minute Meals, which contains 100 recipes simple enough for even the most culinarily challenged to make.
The book has a grand buffet of recipes broken down into several sections, including one entirely devoted to all-day breakfasts (tip o’ the hat to Wicks for finally giving the all-day breakfast the respect it deserves). What stood out to us, however, was this tandoori cod burger recipe, which includes a method for preparing sweet potato fries from fresh. While the recipe below uses cod, you can sub in any other white fish or even chicken breast if you prefer.
Ingredients (serves two)
- 2 large sweet potatoes (600g), scrubbed clean
- 2tsp olive oil
- Salt and black pepper
- 40ml rice vinegar
- 2g caster sugar
- 1 red chilli, deseeded and finely sliced
- ¼ red onion, finely sliced
- ¼ cucumber (80g), de-seeded and cut into thin half-moons
- 2 200g skinless and boneless cod fillets
- 30g tikka masala curry paste
- 2 burger buns
- 1tbsp fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 tomato, thinly sliced
- 1tbsp coriander, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 200°C/gas mark 6.
- Cut each sweet potato in half lengthways, then cut each half into eight long, thin wedges and scatter on a baking tray in one layer. Drizzle over the olive oil along with a good pinch of salt, toss to mix, then roast in the oven for 25 minutes.
- Mix the rice vinegar, sugar, red chilli, onion and cucumber in a small bowl and leave to steep, giving it a stir every now and then.
- Coat the cod fillets in the curry paste, then place on a baking tray lined with parchment and roast in the oven for 15 minutes, by which time they should be just cooked through. When the fish has only five minutes to go, cut the buns in half and place in the oven to toast.
- To build the burger, spread a little yogurt on the bottom bun halves, load up with tomato, lay the fish on top then scatter the cucumber mix over (drain off the excess vinegar). Finish with the coriander, then place the remaining bun halves on top. Serve with the sweet potato fries.