Ontario going back to old sex ed curriculum this fall, PCs say
Ontario’s education minister says the sex-ed curriculum taught to children in the coming school year will be an older version, not the controversial updated program brought in by the previous government.
Lisa Thompson said Wednesday ministry staff are working to inform school boards of the decision to revert to the curriculum that was in place before 2015.
Thompson said the ministry will be moving quickly to consult parents on how to update the curriculum, and details on that process will be coming soon.
Premier Doug Ford promised to repeal and replace the controversial sex-ed curriculum when he ran for the Progressive Conservative leadership and repeated the pledge during the spring election.
The new sex-ed curriculum sparked controversy, particularly among social conservatives, when the Liberal government introduced it.
It was the first time the curriculum had been updated since 1998 and included warnings about online bullying and sexting, but protesters zeroed in on discussions of same-sex marriage, gender identity and masturbation.
Government already under fire over school repair funding
Thompson also said the ministry is looking into how to replace a $100-million fund earmarked for school repairs that was cut earlier this month.
The money was to be paid out from revenues of the cap-and-trade system, which Ford began dismantling almost immediately after taking office, as he had promised to do.
Thompson said the government will try to find internal sources to replace the funding, which was announced in April and cut earlier this month, surprising school boards that had just begun to spend the money.